<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Friday 9th July 2004
 
Still shaking from Darren’s backbending session this morning – the price I pay for drinking 3 coffees yesterday.
I was beginning to wonder if Darren was going through a stale patch because his Friday morning led classes were becoming a bit predictable, following the same kind of sequence each week.  But today had a couple of surprises.

After a very brief stretch in Uttanasana and Dog Pose (no sun salutes today even though we’re headed into mid winter here), we went straight to the wall for Handstands and Forearm Balances (Pincha Mayurasana), first to the wall then free balancing.  Pincha Mayurasana drilled into the very heart of my problematic shoulder joint and it felt great.
Then standing poses: Darren included Utthita Padangusthasana facing the wall with the raised foot supported on the wall, then the Parivritta version where you start from the same position facing the wall, the raised foot to the wall, opposite hand holding the outside of the raised foot, then twist the upper body away from the standing leg, raising the back arm to shoulder height towards the centre of the room.  It’s a lovely pose which I’ve only ever done in workshops with Glenn Ceresoli (it’s definitely not in Light on Yoga).  Darren’s only instruction here was to pull the inner knee back of the standing leg.  I love this pose and know it well even though I rarely do it – you need a strong push down through the big toe joint, drop the raised hip down, but lift the spine up out of the pelvis to work the rotation.  We repeated the pose balanced in the centre of the room.  Although I nailed the balance perfectly, the rest of my standing poses were a little shaky, especially Ardha Chandrasana.  Caffeine overdose – bad girl – won’t do it again.

After the standing poses, Supta Virasana on a 3 fold blanket.  A year ago I could easily lay my back flat on the floor in this one, but the tightness through my hips means I have to work into it more slowly now, but that just makes the process more juicy and interesting.

Then the usual Iyengar mid-class Headstand with Eka Pada variations.

On to Viparitta Dandasana draped over the chair then Kapotasana over the chair, both of them with a small rolled up blanket laid across the chair under the hips for added groin/hip opening (added agony).  A few lifty, curvy Ustrasanas and a Kapotasana preparation where we face away from the wall on our shins, lift arms up and reach back to walk the fingertips down the wall onto blocks and back up a few times.  Then of course the ultimate finale trying to walk the hands down the wall, past the blocks and taking the elbows to the floor; I got close and was able to tease out the edge of my physical and emotional limitations – serious button pushing.  I haven’t worked like that for a long time.
Then up to Pincha Mayurasana, bending the knees and curling into Vrschikasana bringing the feet to rest on top of a chair (back of the chair against the wall) then trying to walk the feet down to the chair seat, deep, deep curl, lifting head up and trying to extend upward to minimize the burden on my shoulders.
Back to the centre of the room, we lined up for 4 handstand dropovers each (Viparita Chakorasana), Darren supporting each of us in turn.  I started to get a feel for the curl over point of balance instead of just jumping up and over like a heavy whirly wheel.  This one and Vrchikasana I really want to work on more.
We attempted to soothe the raging adrenals in Uttanasana and Dog Pose, then finished with the familiar 7 minute Ardha Halasana supported on a chair which is just perfect after a deep backbending session.  After practicing like this, I feel really inspired and hungry for more.  Go further, go deeper.
First coffee of the day is just finished, I feel great, it’s 8.30am and off to work I go.  Yay – it’s Friday.
 
_________________________________________________________________________


Comments:
I love your blog, I think I'm going to bookmark you!

You should check out my site health beauty and stress management expo site.
It's all about this post related stuff.
 
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a free weight loss site/blog. It pretty much covers free weight loss related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)
 
Hey Blogger, I couldn't agree with your post (this post) more. ashtanga yoga
 
Health, Body & Soul
Your site is great, check mine out
stress management course hong kong
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?