<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Thursday 1st January 2004 - New Years Morning

New Year’s morning, 6am and I was at the shala for a self-practice along with about five others. Practicing that morning was a sort of symbolic gesture of my devotion to something much more eternal than parties and fireworks. I’d been looking forward to that practice because I knew it would be special, being New Year’s Day, a new start, new inspiration, the promise of unlimited possibilities which could unfold this year. The practice was imbued with a sacred quality, not unlike taking marriage vows; I think any expression of commitment that truly comes from the depths of your heart has a very powerful energy behind it and the act of a ritual can seal in and protect that commitment, firmly imprinting the impetus of the initial motivation on our hearts.
And so the New Year began…



Monday 5th January 2004

Back at work today after a two week break spent quietly engrossed in my yoga practice. Revisited the Hatha Yoga Pradipika and enjoyed a much deeper understanding and appreciation for it this time around. It’s nice to be feeling this longing for the deeper inner practices that can accelerate the beautiful journey towards my center where the Truth resides. The Truth seems to sit there waiting patiently to be discovered. But we have to weave our way around the obstacles, peel away the layers that have kept us in the dark and prevented us from seeing It. The information, the maps, the steps on the path have been laid out by many; they’re all out there for us and when we’re ready, we find them. The Pradipika is just one text of many that can help in the gradual process of purification. So many people travel through life with the mistaken belief that there is no meaning or purpose for our existence. All the answers are available and it’s the greatest irony, a sort of cosmic joke, that we have all the answers inside of us. Spiritual practice should clear away the obstacles so we can establish a direct line to the Source.

These last two weeks have been great. Surprisingly I’ve been motivated to practice on my own for a change instead of relying on classes at the shala. Lots of yoga, lots of reading; lots of time for reflection. The result??? Working five days a week suddenly began to feel oppressive.
So…I returned to work today with the intention of giving notice of my resignation, fully aware of the financial consequences and fully prepared to throw all caution to the wind to follow my spiritual heart.
Poor Roger (my boss) was just a little shocked to say the least. He sussed out my reasoning: the need to create more time and space for my spiritual practice and yoga teaching. As a fellow yogi/mystic he understood this and came up with a perfect solution – part time work; enough to free up some extra time, but enough to live on in addition to what I earn teaching yoga. The universe obviously had it all planned. Thank you Lord! The divine intelligence that is constantly manifesting what we each need for self-realisation and divine expression is nothing short of awesome…just got to trust it.

Mysore practice
This morning’s practice had a light-hearted feeling to it but not in a superficial way. Rather a mental ease was being expressed through an effortless practice, no struggle despite the predictable rocky landmark poses that arise and pass over the course of two hours:
That old nemesis, Marichyasana D – The last couple of practices, I’ve JUST been able to bind for a split second before my front shoulder slips over my knee. But it’s coming.
Garbha Pindasana rolls continue to fill me with dread. Within the microspace of two slow motion seconds, all my internal power and confidence drained out some invisible plughole as I deteriorated helplessly into a couple of useless rolls.
But a couple of nice things happened this morning:
I managed a perfectly posed handstand after Virabhadrasana 2 and floated with a fair degree of control into Chaturanga. My body’s beginning to understand the mechanics of this one. Eureka…no more bruised and broken toes!
Supta Kurmasana – that other nemesis – Andrew helped place my crossed feet behind my head and then somehow I lifted up and untangled out to Tittibhasana. I’m not sure if Andrew helped me lift up or whether I did it myself – the thrill of getting my feet crossed behind my head sort of sent my brain into an ecstatic fog.
For the first time I did assisted dropbacks onto my head (arms crossed), then the 5 dropbacks (arms still crossed) to halfway only. After this, about 8 smooth assisted full dropbacks with the breath.
I treated myself to a longer Sirsasana this morning. Even though the latest version of Ashtanga rules permits only 25 breaths, lately I've been staying and exploring it for a bit longer. I know I’m taking the liberty of breaking the rules here (and only here), but a secret delight comes from making it MY practice. Three hours is the goal, fourteen minutes my record, probably did five minutes this morning...! Unfortunately I lose count of the breaths when I focus on the flow of prana generated by mulabandha in Sirsasana. I get so engrossed in this process of fully marinating myself in the energetics of the pose. When mind, breath and body amalgamate here I metamorphose into a luscious, pulsating upside down glow worm.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?